I can do a range of web and technical services, however these are my specialties…
I can design a fresh new website for you or re-design an existing website, whatever you prefer. Each website built now will include the following features:
- Mobile-friendly / mobile-first web design
- Did you know that most website traffic comes from mobile devices these days? It’s usually best to focus on your mobile visitors experience first. In fact, Google even prioritizes mobile-friendly websites in search results now.
- Basic SEO implemented
- Advanced SEO services available
- Optimized for speed and performance, especially for mobile devices on a wireless network
- Social networking features, if requested
- Website analytics code for tracking key metrics useful for future development
- This can be disabled if desired
Reasons to have a website:
- Give you or your business an online presence to attract new customers
- Increase profit and brand awareness
- Increase messaging and organizational abilities for your business or group
- Gain insight into your visitors by tracking the visitor count, cities and countries they visit from (approximate, based on public IP address registration data), operating systems and browsers used, and more.
The websites I typically do are built and run on the WordPress (self-hosted) platform. I take this route because it makes it very easy for you or your colleagues to take control of your data and the ability to to keep it updated without relying on me, saving you time and money!
In the healthcare industry and/or will be needing to host items that could include patient data? I can help! My servers are specifically located in Canada for this reason – to better serve the Canadian healthcare industry and other industries where personal data must be stored within Canada. If you have additional technical and legal requirements that must be met for your industry, feel free to contact me and I’ll make it happen.
Search Engine Optimization (“SEO”) is critical to visitors finding your website. Without effective SEO, search engines such as Google and Bing will have trouble finding your website, delays in crawling it for changes, lower rankings in search results, and much more. Each website will come with basic SEO at the time of design, but I can offer several different types of SEO with advanced capabilities:
- Website: Ensuring the website itself is capable of allowing search engines to crawl its pages and content, and eliminating any possible crawl errors that can occur.
- Localization: Ensuring your business contact info can be found and is consistently written across popular local and review-focused websites where people go to find local businesses such as Yelp, Foursquare, Facebook Places, Google Businesses, and more.
- Social Media: Ensuring data consistency across all social media profiles, adding in any missing information, and more.
- Content: Working with you to build content and a long-term game plan for adding to the content pile at a rate that is expected in your specific industry which can get the most focus on your business from various places across the web.
Ideally, all three would be worked on and improved as in most cases these are all related and help contribute to one another for the ultimate “online brand” to be found online. However, if time and money is a constraint, we can work together to determine what the best focus would be so you get the best bank for your buck. I don’t like selling something I can’t back or something a client does’t actually need, so you can expect a lot of honest advice from me to ensure you can succeed with your online adventures.
I provide website & email hosting and manage many domain names for my clients, as a freelancer.
I like to keep it simple, so there is only one all-inclusive hosting package available, and it comes with the following highlighted features:
- Unlimited bandwidth & storage
- Unlimited email mailboxes & aliases
- Spam and antivirus filtering provided for all hosted mailboxes
- Mailboxes can use the provided webmail access or utilize the IMAP & SMTP services
- One domain
- Unlimited more domains can be purchased
- Unlimited subdomains
- Unlimited MySQL databases
- Shared IP
- A dedicated IP can be purchased
As you can tell, the package I provide is effectively “unlimited” in resources, within reason of course. Please see the FAQ for further details on this. A dedicated server may be necessary for you if you have very high resource requirements.
Server Feature Highlights
My web & email servers are configured with the following:
- Daily backups for disaster recovery and data integrity
- Analytics services for tracking key website metrics
- Access to on-demand/live analytical data for your website
- Weekly or monthly reports included as requested in PDF
- SSL certificates for secure website and email communication
- Hosted in secured Canadian data centres free from US law
- Security updates automatically applied daily to keep it secure
For domains, I can register and manage them for you. This is a free service with a web or email hosting package. I’ll help take care of the following:
- Registering it on your behalf (you own it, not me!)
- Keeping the WHOIS data up-to-date and secured with privacy protection
- Setting the name servers
- Dealing with the domain registrar on your behalf to save you time and money.
As part of my freelance business, I offer tech support as well for various items including (but not limited to):
- Computers (macOS; Linux; Windows)
- Multimedia systems (including TVs and soundbars)
Some typical use-cases I can help with:
- Setting up a new computer, phone, or media system
- Troubleshooting issues on any of the above devices
- Completing projects for any of the above devices
These are real sites I have designed from the bottom up, ensuring my clients are happy along the design process and well after the project completes. The categories of sites range from medical clinics to charities and business services and more.
I will ensure I can confidently meet your website needs before I begin the project, so feel free to contact me for a free quote and we can discuss requirements.
Pricing for my services is below for quick reference. Contact me if you have any questions at all with anything on the price list.
Web Design $80 per hour
One hour of web design work. Larger project rates available, contact me for details.
Special rate: a 35% discount to web design hours will be given to all registered charities.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) $80 per hour
One hour of ad-hoc SEO work. Project-related discounted pricing available, contact me for details.
Web Hosting $192 per year
One year of service. Servers located in Canada. Includes web hosting, email, and one domain.
+$22 per extra domain
+$30 per dedicated IP address
Email-only + domain $60 per year
One year of service. Servers located in Canada. Email-only, no website, includes one domain name and five email addresses.
+ $10 per additional email address per year
Tech Support / Assistance $20 per hour
One hour of tech support for desktop and mobile devices, and related technical devices requiring support.
Note: Excludes one-way travel time to destination. If travel time is less than 15 minutes one-way, it is included.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some common questions are below to make things easier. If you have any questions afterwards though, always feel free to contact me.
It is virtually unlimited. Consumption of resources must be reasonable, not impact the performance of other shared sites, and can’t be used for simply hosting backups. I’ve never personally had to limit any client’s usage of the services I provide, which is why I call it “unlimited”, but of course some limitations will apply if anything becomes unreasonable in terms of resource usage. Trust me though, you won’t be caught off guard at all, as I will know ahead of time how many resources will be used as I build or migrate an existing website.
Due to pricing and availability, the servers I operate are located in a data centre in Montréal. I’d love to get servers closer to my clients in the Metro Vancouver & Fraser Valley area but it is not financially feasible at this time, unfortunately. The location of these servers is subject to change, but my servers will always be located on Canadian soil in order to provide services to clients in the healthcare/medical field and to ensure your data is only applicable to Canadian law.
Great question! Without going into too much detail as these plans are subject to change and may not be 100% accurate at the time of reading, I would like to provide the following details which are current as of December 2019…
Server & Data: My servers are fully backed up every 12 hours (so twice daily) and can be easily restored if necessary. These backups include all website and email data. Worst-case scenario data-wise is there may be a very small loss of data with whatever was changed/received since the latest backup was taken for the restore process.
Email: All outgoing mail (SMTP) is sent directly from my servers to the receiving mail servers. In the event that an IP range is blacklisted by a blacklist provider used by the receiving mail servers which would impact mail deliverability, I have a managed secondary SMTP service on backup that I can switch to quickly. This would allow mail to still be sent without being dropped by the receiving mail servers.
Yes, I comply with PIPEDA.
I happen to have several clients in the medical field and as a result, despite increased costs to me, I chose many years ago to make sure that all of the data and the servers themselves reside in Canada, thus complying with various requirements in PIPEDA where patient data must be stored on servers located in Canada.
If you have specific privacy or data requirements, please contact me to discuss further.
Absolutely. If you just need a few small edits to your website, or just need me to design the site but not host it, I’m happy to do so. Please contact me for project pricing.
Transparency is key here – I am doing this all as a freelancer, so while I always aim to offer the most effective and quickest support that I can (most requests are completed within hours of being received), there may be short periods of lower support levels such as when I may be away on vacation. It is important to know that my services are priced to reflect the lack of 24/7 support. Going with me over a large company may provide inconsistent support levels during short windows of time, but you get direct access to me without waiting in a queue, free support time, and a fully optimized server for hosting your website as I can fine-tune my servers on-the-fly without all the extra overhead a large company can bring with it. If you need 24/7 support, I won’t be able to match that. But if you have low to medium support needs and want to save a lot of money while still receiving excellent support and having a connection with your service provider – then I’m your guy.
Want to feel empowered to do your own thing without needing to go through a support queue for every request? Of course you do! This is why I provide all my clients with well-written supporting documentation which is pretty much written to replace me if I’m ever unavailable for a period of time. I want you to be successful online, whether I’m directly involved or not. You have full control.
If you want some references, I’m happy to provide them. Here are a few statements from happy clients.
Hopefully now that the tournament has taken place you can go back to being a daylight dweller because it looked as though you were becoming nocturnal in order to look after us!
You did a great job and your efforts were very much appreciated. We have had several people comment on how professional our site is, and that is a direct reflection of you.