In some cases, it is useful to setup an automatic reply (also known as an auto-response). We can do this in any of the webmail applications provided by myself, including Roundcube and Rainloop. Their instructions are included below.
A useful example for needing an automatic reply is for general mailboxes where you want clients to know your message has been received and to set expectations of when they can expect a reply, as well as for people going on vacation who want their senders to know when you’ll be available again. Ultimately, it generally comes down to simply being able to set expectations with people sending you email.
A friendly reminder to test the automatic reply after setting it up before assuming it works, especially if it’s critical for your business needs. This will make sure it works, and if you have any difficulties with it please contact me right away for assistance.
Instructions For Each Webmail Client
In Rainloop, you can set up an automatic reply with the following steps:
- Login to the Rainloop webmail application with your email account credentials
- Tap on the Account drop-down menu option in the upper-right corner, then tap on Settings
- Now tap on Filters and then the Add a Filter button
- On the Create a filter pop-up, enter in a name for it, leave the Conditions section as-is to respond to all incoming mail, then under the Actions section select the drop-down and choose Vacation message, then set up according to your needs and finally tap the Done button when finished
In Roundcube, you can set up an automatic reply with the following steps:
- Login to the Roundcube webmail application with your email account credentials
- Tap on the Settings button in the upper-right corner
- Tap on the Filters menu option
- Tap on the plus-sign in the bottom of the column for filters and then you will see the Filter definition page
- Fill in the filter name, select “all messages” for all incoming email, then under the “…execute the following actions:” section select the drop-down and choose “Reply with message”, then fill in the message details and tap the Save button when finished